Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Holocaust Remembrance Day

Today we took our 8th graders to the Children's Museum in honor of Holocaust Remembrance Day. We visited the Power of Children gallery to see the Anne Frank exhibit and saw a local high school perform the play Life in a Jar.

I have been to the gallery before. The exhibits show many pictures of a young, carefree Anne before the Nazis invaded the Netherlands and she and her family went into hiding. The museum has videos, interactive displays and sound and light shows to keep the kids interested.

A large red leather school bag drew my attention. I opened the flap and the attached display told me what Anne stuffed in it on the day they fled: her diary, her favorite pen, some curlers and barrettes. Silly things she thought, but she'd rather have these things than more clothes. They were her things.

I wondered what Adam would stuff in a bag at her age? What "silly" things will be important to him?

At that point, the gallery became personal to me. The Frank's had done everything right. They fled war ravaged Germany for a safer existance in Holland. They protected their girls fiercely and went into hiding when they were further threatened. Yet, they couldn't control anything. Otto Frank lost his girls and his wife.

What would I do in his situation? As much as I think I should, I really can't control everything. I might do everything right and one day lose Adam. If I did, I'm not sure I could go on with the courage that Otto Frank displayed in his remaining life time.

Yes, I honored Anne as I do everytime I visit that gallery, but today I also honored her devoted, strong parents. I think that would please Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment