Monday, April 6, 2009

Oprah has it wrong....

For a long time now, I've felt like I've needed a voice. I have a LOT to say - ask my husband...just don't ask him what I said...he may not know.

Tonight after my son went to bed, I was watching Oprah on my most favorite invention ever - the DVR. I watched two women (selling their latest book) talking about how imperfect and difficult motherhood is. They interviewed hundreds of mothers and heard about how they have not had showers in three days, take vicodin to get through the day, or wear Depends on the road because they are running from school to school.

WHAT??

And these women, Trish and Amy, say this with a smile as if this is normal, proper behavior...just a little secret that they have to let us in on. During the production shots for the show at their homes, the women smile with their PERFECTLY dazzling white teeth and talk about how hard motherhood really is while their combined five children leap from sofa to sofa in the palatial home. The madness continues outside as the kids run wild in the beautifully landscaped yard and the moms pose for the camera in front of the Mac laptop.

Another mom interviewed writes a blog about how hard motherhood is...and rakes in $40,000 a month doing it!

WHAT???

Now, I am new to this whole motherhood thing, but I'm not sure how to complain about it in a way to rake in that kind of cash, live in a huge home, and get my teeth whitened, because they sure need it.

On the contrary, I won't pretend motherhood is easy - it takes a lot of unselfishness, and that is difficult. But these women who martyr themselves to the point of wearing diapers to run errands are clearly women who do not embrace the role of being a parent, which doesn't mean that you must die upon the cross of motherhood.

Motherhood is a lifelong collection of God's Smallest Graces, showered on us one after another, if we only recognize them.

1 comment:

  1. oh i am so happy to hear a young mom articulate
    what an old school mom is thinking! you have your head on straight, Janet & thank God for that!

    ReplyDelete