Saturday, May 16, 2009

44 degrees outside, A/C running inside

My reward for a week well lived was crawling into bed at 7:30 PM last night. After I figured out how to get comfortable, without snatching my pillow from under Ismael's snoring mouth, I fell into an exhausted slumber. I slept through severe thunderstorms. I slept through tornado watches. I slept through Ismael's getting up to go to work, though apparently I had a lot to say about it. Evidently I have so much to say that I can't even be quiet when I sleep.

I decided to be a more vigilant parent tonight and check the weather before I go to sleep. My first reaction was one of delight. The low tonight is going to be 44 degrees. That is the kind of weather where I long to throw open the bedroom windows, turn the fan on, and snuggle under a pile of covers while ice forms on my nose. Perfect sleeping weather.

When I returned to reality, my delight evaporated as I realized several things:

1. We live in a downstairs apartment. An open window is like a neon sign blinking an invitation to burglars and rapists. Being opposed to both burglars and rapists, I have to leave the windows shut at night.

2. My husband is from Africa. He complains about the air conditioning and the fan. He climbs into bed next to me, sometimes fully clothed, pulls the covers over his head and complains he is freezing. Thirty seconds later, he is snoring. He can sleep in any condition. I once came home to find him dead asleep on our uncomfortable couch, the television BLARING, and the heat set on 80. It was my perfect version of how hot hell must be...especially if Wolf Blitzer is on the television.

3. I have a son now. That certainly complicates matters.

I wonder if letting the air conditioner run in cool weather is detrimental to the health and welfare of said household utility? I guess we will find out tomorrow.



1 comment: