Saturday, May 23, 2009

Loaded Potato Salad


  • 5 lbs Russet Potatoes
  • 1 small container of plain yogurt
  • 1 cup of mayonaise
  • 3 tbs salad dressing
  • 2 tbs sour cream
  • 1/2 lb bacon, fried and cooled
  • 4 stalks of celery
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 4 hard boiled eggs
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  1. Peel and dice the potatoes. Boil in salted water. Cool.
  2. Mix about 3/4 of the yogurt, mayonnaise, and salad dressing. You could omit the salad dressing and use mustard if you wanted.
  3. Dice bacon, celery, green onions and hard boiled eggs. Add to the cooled potatoes. Mix thoroughly.
  4. Add enough of the mayonnaise yogurt mixture as necessary to reach the desired consistancy. If storing overnight before serving, add a little more of the wet ingredients than you think necessary so it will still be moist when serving.

This is a recipe I developed a couple years ago. The yogurt thins out the mayonnaise and keeps the salad moist. Ingredients can be added/deleted as your individual taste requires. I considered adding a little cheddar cheese, maybe as a garnish, to make it truly a "loaded" potato.

I also wanted to report that this week's cooking of potatoes did not result in any kind of fire or necessitate using the extinguisher. Success.

1 comment:

  1. Just this evening I made potato salad to take with me to a pitch-in party tomorrow. If only I'd had your recipe, I would have added the bacon and yogurt! Everything else was similar...

    On the other hand, I think there are several vegetarians there, so maybe they'll appreciate a bacon-free version. But boy does your recipe sound delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete