Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Allergic to Mommy

Our usual babysitter is not available this week. With Ismael at CNA class all day and working all night, our back up plan is failing.

I dipped into my support pool and asked a school parent and friend if she would pitch in and help out. She happily agreed, despite the fact the amount we pay for a week of child care is better called "a token of our appreciation."

Adam's t-shirt pictured a smiling blue elephant and read, "I'm a really big deal." Instead, it should have said, "Vomits at will." I warned her, "If you return him covered in spit up, I will not consider it a reflection on your babysitting skills."

She laughed and simply said, "Oh not today. I have my good clothes on." As if he would understand and respect this rule. She has four amazingly bright and well behaved kids of her own. Maybe she knows something I don't. Maybe she's the baby whisperer.

Off she went with Adam and I went on to try to educate and meet the needs of 140 individual middle school students. She definitely got the better end of the deal.

She returned at 2:45 PM with my giggling boy and everyone's clothes were still clean. Impressive. She even announced, "He didn't throw up once today." Again, impressive. I must know her secret.

I picked him up, and yes, he promptly threw up down my leg. Laughed, and did it again. WHAT? I had on my good clothes too! Maybe he doesn't appreciate my sense of fashion, which I agree, needs some work.

After sponging us off, I took him to visit our science teacher, who adores him, and gave her the same caveat, "Take the burp rag, he's thrown up twice." She squealed as happily as he did and settled in for a visit while I finished uploading class pictures to snapfish for our parents.

When I was ready to go, I returned to her room and asked, "How is he?" And upon hearing my voice, he vomited again.

I think my son is allergic to me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you and your little vomit-boy! I had one projectile vomiter (who, thankfully, did not give me a complex because she DID vomit on everyone and everything, no respecter of persons, nice clothes, furniture, or new rugs).

    It was one of the most draining, discouraging times of my life. I hope you can handle it with humor, as your post suggests.

    And I suggest that you invest in plenty of laundry detergent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ann. I think he takes after me in this regard. My mother has always told me that I spit up my food as fast as she could get it in me. He's not nearly that bad, but at some point every day we have an episode. I decided that if we are blessed with another baby, I will just buy recieving blankets for burp rags because they are more suited to that job than being an actual blanket!

    ReplyDelete