Saturday, May 9, 2009

Home Alone

I worried; I fretted; I blogged about it, and it came anyway. I had to leave Adam alone overnight with his daddy.

The boys were home alone.

I went to Springfield and St. Louis with my eighth graders for their spring trip. While I had more than enough on site to keep me entertained, aggravated and exhausted, I really missed both of my boys. When I got home late on Friday night, both were clean, fed, and asleep tucked away in their own beds. One of them even had jammies. The other one sleeping in rumpled clothes. I will leave you to guess who.

A friend asked me tonight how they did without me. My honest answer: "When I got home they were clean and fed and asleep. The dishes were done and the laundry was put away. I think it best not to ask too many questions."

Ismael did it his way. And he did it just fine.

I have to admit that when I picked Adam up this morning and held him before his diaper change, that I held him just a little longer than usual. Having missed that moment the past two mornings, I wanted to savor it today. When I laid him on his changing table, he reached up and held the sleeve of my nightgown while I changed him. I'd like to think he missed me too.

Adam and I spent the day together today, running errands, taking pictures, and being generally happy to be together again. The trip went well, but I'd rather be home with my own baby any day.


Adam - 30 weeks and all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment