Thursday, May 21, 2009

Weeds Galore





This is my garden. Isn't it lovely? I'm very proud of it.












Okay. I'm a liar. This is actually my garden. Isn't it lovely?







Ok, not so much a garden as WEEDS that still look lovely up close. I don't even want to know what that tall thing is. It's six feet high.









The other side is even worse, though the late afternoon sun shining on the IU Basketball is a nice touch.



This patio is one of my summer time goals. I've tried each summer to tackle it. Last year, I had some boys come dig up every weed in sight. I bought $50 worth of flowers and dumped another $50 of mulch on it. The flowers died. Choked out by these weeds that grow in all conditions. Full sun, part sun, full shade, warm, cold, rainy, dry, and monsoon.

I did a little research and someone suggested that layers of newspapers under the mulch would block the light and keep the weeds from coming back after they are pulled. I'm not sure how any plants are supposed to live surrounded by newspaper, but I suppose that it would let enough moisture through.

This is my first home project when the long awaited summer break arrives. Just a few more days and counting. I have lovely images in my mind of Adam and I enjoying breakfast amidst a patio full of flowers. Or a patio of mulch. Anything but these darn weeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment