Thursday, May 21, 2009

Green Makeover

A list of my GREEN efforts:
 
1.  At night, I make sure all the lights and television are off.  Until recently, I always left the TV and at least one light on over night.  We had a few seemingly justifiable reasons for this wanton waste of electricity.  Ismael works in the evening and often comes in before it is light out. I'd like him to not trip and kill himself on whatever miscellaneous thing I forgot to put away.  Our previous television would take up to fifteen minutes to "heat up" once you turned it off.  It was easier to let it run. And then there is my aforementioned aversion to burglars and rapists.  I would prefer anyone eyeing our apartment at night think I was still up.  Watching television. With a butcher knife.
 
2.  For the first time, I turned the thermostat UP as I left home thus shutting off the A/C.  There is no point keeping that apartment cool during the day.  The west sun is going to hit the living room windows in the evening and it doesn't get really warm there until then.  Plus, we're gone all day.  If the cats would like to continue to live in subarctic temperatures they can catch a Greyhound to Alaska OR they can get jobs and help pay the bill.  In fact, I've been asking them for years to get jobs, but they have always respectfully declined my requests. 
 
3.  I started buying plastic containers of baby food as opposed to the jars.  I realized this would only matter if I would rinse them out, save them, and then recycle them.  Yucko.  And for that matter, I could do the same with glass.  So this is a worthless effort.  But for some reason, it made sense as I stood in front of the endless selections of baby food.
 
4.  I've continued to hang our clothes on the line.  Except for last night.  I just wasn't in the mood. I put them in the dryer and let it screech.  I just turned American Idol up loud enough to drown it out. 
 
So, there are some of my meager efforts to save the planet.  What are you doing today? :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment